Morgan’s Message: Taking a Shot at Mental Health

Balancing academics and athletics is an overwhelming task. For many student-athletes, studying and completing homework after practices and games is difficult. Over time, being a student-athlete not only takes a toll on your physical health, but your mental health as well. 

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, “there are more high school students using anti-anxiety medications and dealing with depression than ever before.”

Fortunately, organizations and clubs such as Morgan’s Message are working with student-athletes to ensure that they get the help they need.

Morgan’s message is a non-profit organization focused on ending the negative stigma surrounding student-athlete mental health. The purpose of it is to not only bring awareness to the topic but to expand the knowledge of mental health in student-athletes to help support those who may be suffering in silence. The club provides an outlet for student-athletes to talk about the issues they face in a comfortable environment where the people around them can relate to their struggles. 

It offers an opportunity to learn more about mental health in yourself, as well as others. The discussion of mental health is especially important to the founders of this organization, Dona Rogers, Aberle Rogers, and several of Morgan’s friends, as Morgan’s battle with mental health was the inspiration for the organization. Morgan Rodgers was a daughter, sister, and friend who was loved by many. She was also a talented athlete who played division 1 women’s lacrosse at Duke University. 

The people around her described her to have a “contagious laugh and infectious energy that embody Morgan’s irreplaceability.” 

While Morgan experienced high levels of anxiety, she received a large amount of support and professional help to help her work through it and was nothing short of excited to begin her college career. However, in 2017 at the beginning of her sophomore season, she suffered a knee injury and spent the next year going through surgery, therapy, and longing to be back on the field. 

The injury and loss of control over her life took a huge toll on Morgan’s mental health. She showed a brave optimistic face towards her friends and family but suffered internally. Unfortunately, Morgan died of suicide in July of 2019. Stories like Morgan’s are what inspired Jordan Scott (‘23) to introduce the Morgan’s Message chapter to Patriot High School.

Jordan Scott is a junior at Patriot High School who also plays lacrosse. Scott says that Morgan’s story impacted her decision to start the chapter at Patriot. 

“You don’t know what everyone’s dealing with all the time,” Scott said. “Like you don’t know what everyone’s story is just because you talk to them for like three seconds. And I think that’s the most heartbreaking part.” 

Scott hopes the club can be a comfortable atmosphere where student-athletes can ask for help if they need it. 

“I think it’s very important for student-athletes to feel safe to talk to someone, talk to their friends, talk to adults, and guidance counselors here,” Scott said. 

Each meeting will focus on a different mental issue that student-athletes may be facing. Jordan and the other ambassadors are working hard to find ways to educate others about mental health in student-athletes and integrate the club into school activities. 

“I’m already talking to some people from Battlefield for lacrosse season,” Scott said. “We’re gonna have like a Morgan’s Message Battlefield and Patriot game.” 

She hopes the money from the ticket sales could be donated to the organization.

For more information about Morgan’s Message club at Patriot, check out @patriotsmorgansmessage on instagram. Students are encouraged to join Morgan’s Message, regardless of if they play a sport or not, everyone is welcome. The next meeting will be held on Feb. 17 after school in Common’s Two for the “Kindness Rock Project.”